Saturday, September 13, 2014

The land of milk and money

.

Doesn't milk in a bag make you think of milk in an udder? 

Israeli consumers are being milked as the price of milk keeps going up.
A 1-liter bag of milk costs 5.30 shekels.*
At today's exchange rate that is $1.46.
Milk and some other basic dairy foods are under price regulation.


Bagged milk is put into its container, a corner is snipped off, and it's ready to pour.

However, the little choco bags have historically been opened by tearing off a little corner with your teeth and squeezing the sweet cold chocolate milk into your mouth.
When a kid can do that without getting choco stains all over his clothes, it is like an Israeli rite of passage.

We DO also have milk in cartons, but bags are cheaper and the milk tastes just as good.

I made aliyah to Israel in 1968 and remember the milk still came in glass bottles and was delivered to your doorstep,  but the bottles soon gave way to bags.
I blogged before about this, back in 2008 , when the prices were much lower.
.
*UPDATE Oct. 2017:  Milk prices are lower now, at 5 shekels per one-liter bag.  Today that is $1.42 in American money.
.

12 comments:

  1. We have the same here- milk is available in cartons, but also in bags that have three bags with a four litre total.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bags are more practical and less wasteful. I read an article yesterday and apparently, Israel has the most amount of vegan restaurants in the world. How lucky!

    ReplyDelete
  3. when i lived in toronto, canada, all of our milk came in bags! i preferred it that way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love knowing this.



    ALOHA from Honolulu
    ComfortSpiral
    =^..^= . <3 . >< } } (°>

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love so much when people blog about the small details of our life;)
    האנגלית שלי מזעזעת אני יודעת
    I remember buing milk from the milk man (hahalban) who came with his donky every day.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Milk in a bag - somehow I missed that on my visits to Israel! I wonder if we will start seeing this here in the states. Maybe it's already here and I just haven't noticed!

    ReplyDelete
  7. In the Sixties we still had the glass bottles, the ones with a tinfoil cap... I have never seen milk in bags!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've not seen milk in a bag here. We have mostly cartons and plastic jugs but we do have milk that comes in small boxes with straws, refrigerated and not.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so interesting, Dina. I don't think I've seen milk in bags before. Your milk now costs about the same as in Hawaii.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Friends, interesting to learn all this from your comments. Thanks.

    Adullamite, no, we have enough cows. Although many of them were killed by rockets from Gaza this summer. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bagged milk always made me laugh!

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!