Saturday, January 23, 2016

Two parents, two handwritings

.

This has nothing to do with Israel, but . . . here goes.
Turns out that today is National Handwriting Day in some English-speaking nations.
Didn't want to illustrate this post with a sample of my own penmanship lest you submit it to a graphologist for analysis.  Oi! ;)
So here is a page from my mother's scrapbook that she made when my father went off to war as a U.S. Army Air Corps pilot in 1943, with all the mementos that sustained her in that difficult time of waiting.
If you click a few times you can enlarge my scanned photo enough to read  two very different styles of cursive:
Mom's left-leaning script (can you even read it?) with open circles to dot the i, and Dad's right-leaning easy-to-read writing (which is like mine).

I just hope my young device-prone grandkids will be taught cursive in school so they will be able, for instance, to read this family treasure, the scrapbook made by their late great grandmother.
.

9 comments:

  1. Quite a distinctive difference in the way your parents wrote!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Each person is differen so in that way the world is fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also hope our young device-prone grandkids will be taught cursive in school so they will be able to read family treasures, send postcards, write birthday cards and feel totally literate. I fear not :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had to look closely at your mother's writing to read it, but I got it. My parents both had very different handwriting, and my father's was also the clearer of the two.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your mother's handwriting is very distinctive. I like the way she crosses her t's with that sharp upward tilt. I wonder what one could buy in West French Africa for one franc note worth two cents in 1944? I once had a job that entailed reading letters from many places including overseas and I noticed that handwriting styles are often specific to country of origin. That might make an interesting study for someone interested in handwriting.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's wonderful Dina.
    Cursives are losing ground everywhere and it makes my blood boil...

    ReplyDelete
  7. My parents' handwriting were rather alike so I find it difficult sometimes to be sure who wrote what if there is no clear context.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HEllo Dina

    I think we are too quick to give up on cursive writing. It is so highly personal an expression of the inner pathways to the mind and heart.
    I was looking at old familly pictures of the past before I was born and just the other day I found the cursive writing of family members passed away and I lingered over the words for a long time as these relatives reached out to me through their unique gesture of writing.It was poignant.

    I think cursive writing is good for eye hand coordination also.Yes I think we are too quick to give it up.

    have a beautiful day.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Do you know they've removed handwriting from our school curriculum? They don't teach cursive either. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete


Thanks for your comment!
Comment moderation is on so I will see any new comments even on older posts!